Sunday, February 10, 2013

Nostalgia and Colorforms...



When I think back on my childhood there are some things that left such an indelible mark that at nearly 59 I am overwhelmed with a nostalgia that can almost bring me to tears, and so it is with Colorforms, the Original set, not the ones that came for decades thereafter in the shape of cartoon characters but the original ones that came with several sheets of vinyl shapes in a many colors and it was up to the child's imagination to create things coming up from deep inside. I know they were one of the early influences in my life that created the artist that I am today, and I wonder and worry about children whose toys and games are so pre-set and unimaginative that they leave little to the original mind of the magical child. When I saw, a few years ago, that they had released a 60th anniversary edition of the original set I bought it for my grandson who is now 8 as well as the original big sets of basic Tinkertoys. This young boy, who likes computer games as well as the next kid, has an amazing imagination and delights me to my core. 




I would love to hear from any of you who had and loved these colorforms. They delight me still and I wouldn't be surprised if a set ended up in my studio one day!


No comments:

Post a Comment